Approximately ~15hrs from now, the presentations and culmination of my MakerSquare experience is shown in my Erato app, a basic sound/image mixer and visualizer. Although not fully complete as I’d liked, I’ve learned a lot. With several of these topics leading me to fruitless points for my app, it has allowed me to dabble in new topics and ideas that I would otherwise never have encountered if it weren’t for the time MakerSquare has allowed.
As a sampling, here’s what I’ve learned and relearned:
- domain-specific language
- binary data (reading/writing)
- WAV vs. MIDI file formatting
- SVG vs. PNG vs. GIF (its “JIF” to me!) vs. JPEG
- Synthesizer terms: ADSR (Attack-Decay-Sustain-Release), envelopes, harmonics
- Editing of an existing GEM for my own project
- Self-managed Kanban board using waffle.io
- CRUD actions of several controllers
- Mixing of various param hashes from different sources
- Bootstrap (oy vez!)
I only wish I had more time to fall into this rabbit hole of knowledge.